Writing Hardships: Research in 4-star hotels

 As you might imagine, a writer's life can be difficult. Sitting in bed in one's pajamas, drinking coffee and typing...so challenging.

But one of the most trying things has to be traveling to gorgeous places to do research. I recently traveled to the Tremont House in Galveston to stay for a night to do research for Magical Misfire, a Southern Witch electronic novella that comes out in April.

I needed to figure out how far the reportedly haunted hotel where Tammy Jo stays is from other locations. Is it in walking distance from the former Red Light district where there used to be a row of brothels during Victorian times? Is the hotel close to the pier where the party boats dock? 

The Tremont was beautiful and the staff were lovely. I had all my questions answered and dinner was delicious. I was unfortunately not contacted by any of the resident ghosts. Maybe next time! 


This is the local map I used prior to arriving to figure out the relative locations of things. Isn't it cute?

I also really appreciated websites that had information and pictures from Dickens on the Strand. (It's a yearly Christmastime festival where people dress in costume and the streets are transformed to Victorian era London. So much fun!)

The website that cracked me up the most however was one that helped me with slang used by Victorian prostitutes. More on that to come!


Here's the lobby. Isn't it great? The bartender made me an excellent Tequila Sunrise. Perfect for a beach vacation. Oranges are summery, aren't they?

Anyway, if you want a getaway, I recommend the island and this hotel. It's within walking distance to a lovely bookstore, some great eateries, a historical ship that actually sails, and a hundred-year-old sweet shop.

I know what you're thinking. The trials of being a writer never end. And yet...I will continue to soldier on. :)








MAGICAL MISFIRE:

During a small-town skirmish, Would-Be Witch Tammy Jo Trask foils a kidnapping plot with a spell that shrinks her nemesis Jenna to a doll-sized diva. When the reversal spells to restore Jenna’s size don’t work, Tammy Jo and gorgeous wizard Bryn Lyons are forced to turn to the ghost of a Victorian-era prostitute who haunts Galveston Island.

Since Sullied Sal only appears to tourists during the yearly celebration of Dickens on the Strand when Victorian food, fare, and fashion are once again the norm, Tammy Jo and Bryn join the festivities. Unfortunately being squeezed into a corset is just the beginning of the trouble in store for Tammy—and the island—when Tammy Jo and Bryn seek the advice of the gaudy ghost.

Comments

Ruby's Inn said…
You put a lot of effort into this website it is found very useful, i am grateful.

Bryce Lodging
Cas said…
I love your southern which novel series and the covers I think our wonderful I'm sorry you have to change them I am so excited to have another book come out I would love to see much more in the series it's great it's funny witty it's suspenseful you do a wonderful job thank you

Popular posts from this blog

PARAPALOOZA - Day 1

PARAPALOOZA - Day 2

PARAPALOOZA - Day 3