Clouds in the Road?

"Aerodynamically, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know it, so it goes on flying anyway." Mary Kay Ash

I was only half awake at four-fifteen a.m. as I drove, and there was some morning mist obscuring my already hazy I-should-not-be-up-this-early state of mind. Then I saw them. Clouds littering the road. Big bits of white fluff, too foamy to be solid. A scan of the surrounding area revealed more clusters on the grass and people's front lawns.

I slowed the vehicle and rolled down my windows as if I might say to them, "How did you get down here?" or "Don't you know that if you're that weighed down with water, you should just give it up as rain? You're not supposed to sink this low. Hurry and get back up in the sky."

When I was traveling at 1 mile per hour and had rubbed the sleep from my eyes, I spotted the frothing fountain that belonged to an apartment building off on my left-hand side. Enormous billows of snow-white soap foam was cresting up over the brick enclosure, and I understood. Someone had poured laundry detergent or some other cleanser into the fountain and the lighter-than-air suds had been carried across the street by wind. Whether it was a prank or part of a routine winter fountain-cleaning, I'm not sure. I can only say, that it provided a surreal start to the morning, and, for that, the artist in me is grateful.

Comments

spacedkane said…
That would have been awesome to see. On road trips my kids and I look at the clouds to see what shapes can be found in them. We live by a power plant and when the boys were little they thought the puffs of smoke out of the top of the plant was because the building was where clouds were made.
Kimberly Frost said…
SK -

LOL That is great. I love the way kids' minds work. When I was small I thought hail was pellets of salt. The ice was that chalky white color and looked like the salt that was spread on snowy roads, ergo...
Anonymous said…
The "bad boys" at the local high school will throw bubble bath into fountains in my neighborhood. Lots of "hurrumphing" ensues, but I think it is mostly harmless.
Cari Quinn said…
Kimberly, I stumbled over your name on my friend's MySpace page. The title (and cover) of your book immediately caught my eye. It sounds fabulous and I can't wait to read it! I love finding debut authors to read, as I hope to be one myself one of these days. Best of luck to you with the book...I'm sure I'll return here often. :)
Kimberly Frost said…
Paul -

If fountain bubble baths keep the local bad boys busy, we'll count ourselves as lucky. ;)

Hugs,
Kimber
Kimberly Frost said…
Curious & Cari -

Thanks so much for stopping in! It's always great to meet new friends.

Hugs,
Kimber

Popular posts from this blog

PARAPALOOZA - Day 1

PARAPALOOZA - Day 2

PARAPALOOZA - Day 3