Dawn of a New Day




"In the hour of adversity, be not without hope. For crystal rain falls from black clouds." Persian Poem

Despite the fact that I have been alarmingly social recently, I can not help but feel a bit disconnected from the world. I am adrift in the pages of my novel, while the place where I once worked churns on without me. I boxed up my things last week and most of those boxes still sit in the trunk of my car, as if, by lacking a proper place in my house, they are forced to ride around aimlessly on errands.

Luckily, I have not been without company. Best friends David and Bonnie have been close at hand this weekend. It's an important thing for a writer to have close ties because one can get so lost in the words. Especially me, especially when editing. I'm supposed to be smoothing things out, but rather than carrying a sliver of sandpaper, I seem to be carrying a hammer and a power saw with jagged teeth. I have ripped out a character from my novel, and I can almost see the slashmarks on the pages. This description reminds me very much of Jasper Fforde's novel, The Erye Affair. It was a surreal reading experience, which I recommend. He is an extremely clever author, though I can not for the life of me understand why he insists on adding a superfluous 'F' and 'e' onto his name when the entire car-buying world knows that the correct spelling is Ford.

I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Fforde during a luncheon. He was handsome and witty in that charming British way. I would likely have married him had it not been for the small problem of his traveling companion, she claimed to be his wife.

Comments

Kimberly Frost said…
Thanks also to Rick for reading my novel and telling me he liked it.

Thanks to Bethe for company on the writing day Sunday even if I was dead tired and not as productive as I should have been.

Thanks to the RWA chapter for a fun meeting. Especially to Jo Anne and Vicky for their morning presentation which was great.
Kimberly Frost said…
David reminded me last night that Fforde is a perfectly legitimate spelling of Ford and that Mr. Fforde was undoubtedly born with it. I'm sure that's true. Although he could have lost a couple of letters to a penname. ;) Just kidding. Fforde is fine and so are his books.
Rick Bylina said…
Great shot. Take those boxes out of your trunk. They're weighing you down (and costing you gas). Free yourself from the former world. I can't imagine axing a character from one of my novels, though one of the first questions I ask my beta readers is: "Which character can this story do without?"

Write on! Write on!! Brothers and sisters, amen. Write on!!!

-rick
http://muse-needed.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

PARAPALOOZA - Day 1

PARAPALOOZA - Day 2

PARAPALOOZA - Day 3